Tag Archives: public garden

A walk in Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands

A walk from the tranquil Parque García Sanabria to the noisy harbour, admiring some of the beautiful flowers and trees on the way. The Parque García Sanabria is the largest urban park in the Canary Islands. The park’s floral clock was manufactured in Switzerland by Favag.

Watch the video:

The following stills are from the above video.

Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands Santa Cruz, Tenerife, Canary Islands

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

Canons Ashby a Elizabethan manor house in Northamptonshire

Canons Ashby House is a Grade I listed Elizabethan manor house located in the village of Canons Ashby, south of the town of Daventry, Northamptonshire. The interior of Canons Ashby House is noted for its Elizabethan wall paintings and its Jacobean plasterwork. It is owned by the National Trust.

Watch the video:

The following stills are from the above video.

Canons Ashby a Elizabethan manor house in Northamptonshire Canons Ashby a Elizabethan manor house in Northamptonshire Canons Ashby a Elizabethan manor house in Northamptonshire Canons Ashby a Elizabethan manor house in Northamptonshire

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

Trentham Estate lake and gardens at Stoke-on-Trent

The Trentham Estate is an award-winning visitor attraction, welcoming over 3 million visitors a year. The estate includes a large lake with a passenger boat, Italian gardens and woodland walks. Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown worked on the landscape at Trentham around 1760.

Watch the video:

The following stills are from the above video.

Trentham Estate lake and gardens at Stoke-on-Trent Trentham Estate lake and gardens at Stoke-on-Trent Trentham Estate lake and gardens at Stoke-on-Trent Trentham Estate lake and gardens at Stoke-on-Trent

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

Shugborough Estate a stately home in Staffordshire

The centerpiece of the Shugborough Estate is Shugborough Hall, parts of which date back to 1695. Further additions were made during the 18th and 19th centurys. There is an exhibition showing highlights from the lives of two previous residents; Thomas Anson who was a Member of Parliament and George Anson who was First Lord of the Admiralty. It is owned by the National Trust.

Watch the video:

The following stills are from the above video.

Shugborough Estate a stately home in Staffordshire Shugborough Estate a stately home in Staffordshire Shugborough Estate a stately home in Staffordshire Shugborough Estate a stately home in Staffordshire

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

Baddesley Clinton a moated manor house in Warwickshire

Baddesley Clinton is a moated manor house near the historic town of Warwick in the English county of Warwickshire. The house probably originated in the 13th century, when large areas of the Forest of Arden were cleared for farmland. It is owned by the National Trust.

Watch the video:

The following stills are from the above video.

Baddesley Clinton a moated manor house in Warwickshire Baddesley Clinton a moated manor house in Warwickshire Baddesley Clinton a moated manor house in Warwickshire Baddesley Clinton a moated manor house in Warwickshire

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

Montacute House National Trust, Yeovil, Somerset

Montacute house and village have often featured as locations for films. It was used as one of the locations for the BBC’s adaption of the novel Wolf Hall, in 2014. The fictional location for the Wallace and Gromit film ‘The Curse of the Were-Rabbit’, Tottington Hall, was based on Montacute House.

The following stills are from the video.

Montacute house

Montacute House is a building with two fronts. In 1787 the west side, originally the back, was rebuilt to become the new approach.
Montacute house

When the house was built in 1598, the east side (above) was the front. The lawn and flower borders would have originally been a courtyard with a gate house.

Montacute house

A notable feature of the house is the Long Gallery, spanning the entire top floor of the building. It is hung with 16th and 17th century old master portraits, in partnership with London’s National Portrait Gallery.

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

A la Ronde a sixteen sided house in Devon

A la Ronde, near Exmouth in Devon, is owned by the National Trust. It was built in 1796 for two spinster cousins, Jane and Mary Parminter. Jane was the daughter of a rich merchant. Following the death of her father, Jane decided to set up home in Devon together with her cousin Mary. They purchased a plot of land near Exmouth and had A la Ronde built. We visited in May 2018.

The following stills are from the video.

A la Ronde, near Exmouth in Devon

They lived quiet lives, occupied with handicrafts such as needlework and creating pictures with sea shells. Jane died in 1811 leaving the property to Mary. The terms of Mary’s will specified that the property could be inherited only by an “unmarried kinswoman”. This condition held firm until 1886 when the house was transferred to the Reverend Oswald Reichel, a brother of one of the former occupants.

A la Ronde, near Exmouth in Devon
Reichel was responsible for major changes to the house. These included the construction of upstairs bedrooms with dormer windows, the fitting of first-floor windows, the replacement of the original thatch with roof tiles and the addition of an external catwalk.

A la Ronde, near Exmouth in Devon
Jane and Mary were regular attendants at a Chapel in Exmouth, but as the two ladies got older they found the journey to worship increasingly difficult. Therefore they had ‘Point in View’ chapel built on their own estate. Surrounding the chapel was a small school for six girls and almshouses for four maiden ladies of at least 50 years of age.

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

Cricket St Thomas gardens in May

This classic country house hotel is set in splendid parkland, with colourful gardens, lakes, and a unique woodland area. During our visit the rhododendrons and wisteria where magnificent. Filmed on 15 May 2018 at Cricket St Thomas near Chard, Somerset, UK.

The following stills are from the video.

Cricket St Thomas gardens in May Cricket St Thomas gardens in May Cricket St Thomas gardens in May

The Pillow Fight is a bronze statue by the local sculpture, John Robinson. The sculptures are said to have been inspired by his own grandchildren.

Camera: Sony RX100 V.

Killerton House, National Trust property in Devon

Killerton is an 18th-century house near Exeter in Devon. In 1944 it was given to the National Trust by British politician Sir Richard Acland.

Sir Richard was was one of the founding members of the British Common Wealth Party. He was an advocate of public land ownership and he gave his Killerton and Holnicote estates to the National Trust out of principle, and also to ensure that the estates remained safe and unspoiled for all time.

The following stills are from the video.

Killerton House, National Trust, Devon

At the time this was the largest single acquisition in the Trusts history. With a total of 17,000 acres, the estates were estimated to be worth £250,000. That’s the equivelent of £4,000,000 in todays money. Sir Richard, who was then 36, said of his future “My income will depend solely on what I earn as an M.P. and a writer. I shall be a working man and nothing else.”

Killerton House, National Trust, Devon

The summerhouse was renamed ‘the bear’s hut’ because in the 1860’s it was used to house a black bear called Tom, which had been brought to Killerton by the 12th Baronet’s brother, Gilbert, on his return from Canada.

Killerton House, National Trust, Devon

Although the Killerton Estate came to the Trust in 1944, the house didn’t open to the public until 1978. In 1944 the house was cleared of furniture to make way for two evacuated schools. Post-war the house was used firstly as a hotel for the Worker’s Travel Association, who’s aim was to provide affordable holidays for working people and their families. Later it became a hall of residence for St Luke’s College of Education.

When the Trust opened the house to the public in 1978 there was little of the original furniture left.
The ground floor of the house has been re-furnished as it would have been in the early part of the 20th century, when the Acland family were still in residence.

There were no pictures to show what the bedrooms looked like. So when Killerton was offered a costume exhibition, it was decided to use the upstairs of the house for the displays. Since then they have always had a themed fashion exhibition on display.

Camera: Sony RX100 V.